Sometimes you have thousands of downloads and for some reason you update the files. Maybe you decided to apply some changes to your downloads or to correct some mistakes. Whatever the case, you need to upload the new files and set the new URLs to your products. Therefore, you need to spend some hours.
Here’s where the Easy Digital Downloads Spreadsheet plugin is so necessary because it allows you to apply changes to thousands of downloads. This plugin displays all your downloads in a beautiful spreadsheet where you can edit downloads one by one; you can also bulk edit them by using the powerful Bulk Edit tool.
Install the Easy Digital Downloads Spreadsheet
You can download the plugin here:
Once you install the plugin, you’ll see the spreadsheet with all your downloads and their complete information. Just scroll right in the spreadsheet to see the rest of your downloads’ info.
You’ll find a toolbar with the following tools:
- Add new – This button helps you create new rows in the spreadsheet.
- Search – With this tool, you can search specific rows using different search terms.
- Bulk Edit – This is a powerful tool that helps you apply changes to thousands of rows at once.
- Duplicate – This button helps you create hundreds of copies out of a row.
- Locate cell – Here you can enter a specific cell content and it will take you right to that cell.
IMPORTANT: How many files can I add to my EDD products?
EDD Spreadsheet allows you to increase or decrease the number of files you add to your downloads. For example, if you sell products that involve 3, 4 or five downloads, you can set that number of fields (columns) in the spreadsheet.
Go to Settings > Advanced Settings on the top toolbar.
Once there, go to the EDD Sheet tab and set the number of files (columns) you want to display in the spreadsheet using the How many files do you add to the products? field. By default, the number of files will be 3.
Here are some options you have to bulk edit the download files in EDD:
You can add, replace or delete files individually using the spreadsheet. You’ll save a lot of time because you won’t have to open and edit products one at a time.
You’ll just enter or remove content using the appropriate cells as you do in Excel or Google Sheets.
For example, if you go to the Edd Download Files: Name: 1 column, you’ll be able to remove, add or replace the values in that column for all the products you want.
Once you’ve made changes to all the products you want, click on Save to apply them all at once.
- You don’t have to open products once by one.
- You can autocomplete the below cells.
- You save changes just once, not many times.
In this section, we’ll show you how to replace download files from hundreds of EDD products.
For example, if you want to delete download files from products by keyword and set the same file for all of them, you can do it quickly.
Just open the Bulk Edit tool. It’s on the toolbar, so just click on it.
Now you need to open the search options by selecting I want to search rows to update and edit all the search results.
You’ll find these search options:
- Contains keyword: Enter any keyword and the plugin will find all the products containing it on their titles.
- Enter Download Categories or Download Tags: You can enter any of these two search parameters and the plugin will filter all products containing it.
- Run search: This button applies the search parameters and filters your products.
For example, we’re searching for all products containing the “Download” keyword in their titles, so let’s just enter the keyword and run the search.
Once the products have been filtered, you need to select the necessary values to replace the files. For example, we’ll replace file 2 (Edd Download Files: File: 2), so just select these values:
- Select the rows that you want to update: I want to search rows to update and edit all the search results.
- What field do you want to edit: Edd Download Files: File: 2
- Select type of edit: Set value
- Replace existing value with this value: Enter the new download file URL.
- Click on Execute now.
If you’ve created a new folder (directory) in your server in which your files are located, you can move them in bulk. For this, we’ll just replace a part of your files URLs, namely, the part that has to do with the folder in which the files are located.
Just open the Bulk Edit tool with one click on the toolbar.
Now select these values to replace the folder in your files’ URLs.
- Select the rows that you want to update: Edit all the rows from my current search (including non-visible rows)
- What field do you want to edit: Select the files you’ll edit. For example, you can select several files (Files: File: 1; Files: File: 2; Files: File: 3; etc.)
- Select type of edit: Replace
- Replace this: Enter the fragment that indicates the old downloads folder; for example, it can be /downloads/. It all depends on your preferences.
- With this: Enter the fragment indicating the new downloads folder; for example, it can be like this /new/ on your preferences.
- Click on Execute now to update all the file URLs.
With these simple steps, the plugin will replace the downloads directory. It’s really fast and simple.
With these simple steps, you can bulk edit thousands of EDD products in seconds using the spreadsheet and its advanced searches and bulk edit tools.
You can save a lot of time because you don’t have to open and edit products one at a time.
You can download the plugin here: