Sometimes you create a bunch of Variable Products in your WooCommerce store because you want to try a new theme or template, or a plugin, or it´s just a demo for a client.
But then you realize that your Variable Products should be Simple Products instead, or you realize that you made a mistake when creating the variations.
You have 2 options:
- You either delete them and create the products again
- Or you delete the product variations, one by one, to fix the mistake
Well. We know that deleting a lot of product variations can be difficult, so in this tutorial we show you how to do that in just a couple of clicks.
Install WP Sheet Editor
WP Sheet Editor is a plugin that provides a bulk editor for WooCommerce products.
It lets you view all the products in a spreadsheet, edit the products quickly, make advanced searches, and cool feature for updating hundreds of products at once in just a few seconds.
The first step in the tutorial is to install the plugin.
When you activate the plugin you see a quick setup page, you just need to enable the Products spreadsheet here and enable/disable the spreadsheet columns that you need. Then continue.
Read more info about the setup process.
Start using the spreadsheet
Now you can see the spreadsheet. It shows all your WooCommerce products and you see a couple of tools in the toolbar.
Since we want to delete only product variations, we need to specify that because otherwise we would delete all products, and that’s not what we want right now.
So to look for product variations, please follow these simple steps.
Step 1. Open the “Bulk Edit” tool
This tool will allow you to apply changes to thousands of products at once.
Step 2. Open the “Search” tool
Select I want to search rows to update in the Select the rows that you want to update dropdown.
Step 3. Look for product variations
THIS IS OPTIONAL: The search tool will show you search options that can be applied to both main products and variations.
- Contains keyword – Use this field to enter a specific word and find all products or variations containing it on their titles.
- Status – Use this field to search for all products or variations with status published, draft, private, etc.
- Enter Tags – Use this field to search for all products or variations containing specific categories, attributes, tags, or shipping classes. For example, search for all products or variations containing the Technology category, or all products or variations containing he blue attribute, etc.
THIS IS A MUST: To search for the variations, you need to check the “Search on variations” checkbox and then hit the “Run search” button. If you don’t tick this checkbox, the search parameters will be applied to the main products. Beware of this fact.
Step 4. Delete the filtered product variations
Deleting all the filtered product variations is really easy with WP Sheet Editor. You just need to set these values:
- What field do you want to edit: Status
- Select type of edit: Set value
- Replace existing value with this value: Delete completely
- Hit the “Execute now” button.
Deleting the variations is fairly easy. You can do that with a couple of clicks, and the formula execution takes just a couple of seconds.
You can delete thousands of variations at once, and your site won’t become slow, the update is extremely fast.
So you can save hours (or days) of work by using WP Sheet Editor.