You have created 500 variations for your WooCommerce products, and your client asks you to edit their prices because he’s putting them on sale for some time. Or maybe he asks you to delete all the large, black jeans because he’s not selling them anymore. Even more, he can ask you to make all kinds of changes to your product variations… You know how exigent clients are.
Of course, you know that normally you would have to edit each product style and size, for example. And that’s not good if you’ve been asked to save time and do it quickly for your client.
So here we want to show you how to quickly edit hundreds of thousands of product variations using a spreadsheet.
This is very helpful if:
- You are creating a new store and need to set up products quickly
- You are running a marketing campaign and need to edit product prices quickly
- You are updating product information
Install the “WP Sheet Editor” plugin
We love spreadsheets. They are amazing.
You can edit hundreds of rows and fields, you can view all the information in a single place, you can edit thousands of fields by executing formulas, you can copy information between fields, etc.
That’s why we created WP Sheet Editor. It provides a Spreadsheet that you can use to edit WordPress Posts, Pages, and WooCommerce products.
It was created to bring all the spreadsheet benefits into the WordPress platform, so we can save a lot of time and make your life much easier.
Set up the spreadsheet
After activating the plugin for the first time you will see the “quick setup page”. In that page you can enable the products spreadsheet and select the spreadsheet columns.
The setup takes only 2 minutes.
Open the spreadsheet
The spreadsheet will open automatically after the setup step, or you can open the spreadsheet manually by going to “WP Sheet Editor > Edit products”.
Now you can see the spreadsheet and start editing.
By default, you will see a row for every simple product, downloadable product, external product, and variable product’s main information.
These sections show you several options you have to bulk edit your product variations.
With this plugin, you can view the variations next to their parent products in the spreadsheet.
It’s really simple because you just need to click on Display Variations on the toolbar, and the variations will be displayed in the spreadsheet.
Therefore, if you want to edit any of their fields, you just need to go to the columns and change the values in the cells.
For example, we’ve added different prices, featured images, and SKU codes to our variations in the spreadsheet.
Once you finish making the changes, just click on Save to apply them. You just need to save changes once.
The spreadsheet contains a checkbox selector that you can use to choose which products or variations you want to edit. Just display the variations on the spreadsheet by clicking on Display Variations and mark the ones you want to edit.
Then, just open the Bulk Edit tool, which will help you apply changes to all the selected variations in seconds.
For example, we’ll increase the prices by 15% for all the selected variations. Just select these values:
- What field do you want to edit: Regular Price
- Select type of edit: Increase by percentage
- Increase by: 15
- Click on Execute Now.
With these simple values, the prices will be edited for all the selected variations. No matter if you selected ten or a thousand variations.
If you want to select your variations massively, you can quickly and easily do it with WP Sheet Editor. For example, you can bulk edit all the variations containing the Computer keyword, or you can edit all the variations of the products in the Technology category.
Just open the Bulk Edit tool with one click on the toolbar.
Now select I want to search rows to update and edit all the search results. This will open a Search tool to help you filter your product variations.
You’ll find these search options:
- Contains keyword: enter any word, and the plugin will find all products or variations containing it in their titles.
- Status: Draft. Published. Private. Etc.
- Enter Tags: Enter any product category, attribute, tag, or shipping class. This field works for those search fields.
- Search on variations: This is a MUST for filtering the product variations. Therefore, no matter the search filter you use (keyword, status, category, etc.), you must mark this checkbox to search for the variations only.
- Once you decide how you’ll search for the variations, you need to click on Run search to filter them.
- For example, in this screenshot, we’re searching for all variations containing the Computer keyword.
Once you’ve filtered the variations, you need to apply the bulk changes. For instance, we’ll edit the stock status field for all the variations we filtered.
For that, we just need to select these values:
- What field do you want to edit: Stock Status
- Select type of edit: Set value
- Replace existing value with this value: Mark = in stock. Unmark = out of stock.
- Click on Execute Now.
Depending on what you chose (in stock or out of stock), all the filtered variations will be edited with these simple values.
If one day you’ll be working offline but want to edit your variation prices, stock, descriptions, etc., using an Excel or Google Sheets document, you can export them quickly with WP Sheet Editor.
First, you need to open the Search tool do display the variations only in the spreadsheet. It’s on the toolbar, so just click on it.
Tick the Search on variations checkbox and click on Run search. This will filter the variations only and display them in the spreadsheet.
Once the variations are displayed on the spreadsheet, you need to open the Export tool with one click on the plugin’s toolbar.
- You can select the columns you want to export. You can select individual columns, all active columns, or all columns at all.
- After selecting the columns, mark the I understand it will export the posts from my current search checkbox.
- Important: Sometimes, Excel doesn’t allow the comma as a valid separator, so we can fix that problem by marking the I will edit this file with Microsoft Excel checkbox.
- Also, you can name the export for future sessions.
- Once you’re done setting the export options, click on Start new export, and the CSV file will be downloaded to your computer.
You can now open the CSV file with Excel or Google Sheets and make changes to the variations information. For example, we’ve edited the Featured, Short Description, Variation Description, and Stock Status columns.
We’re ready to import the changes back to WooCommerce, so go to the next section.
In the previous section, we showed you how to export the variations to a CSV file to edit it with Excel or Google Sheets. Therefore, once you’ve applied changes to that file, you can easily import it to WooCommerce using WP Sheet Editor.
Just click on Import on the top toolbar.
Next, you need to select the file from your computer and click on Next.
After that, just click on Import all the columns to go on to the next step.
Here, you need to match the IDs in the CSV file with the IDs in WooCommerce, and click on Next.
Finally, you’ll see a preview of how the information will look imported. If everything is OK, click on The preview is fine, start import.
The import process will start and you’ll soon see the changes imported on the spreadsheet. It’s that simple and fast.
You don’t need to spend thousands of hours trying to edit your product variations. We’ve brought all the benefits of spreadsheets to WordPress and WooCommerce.
You can quickly edit individual variations or bulk edit thousands of them. Also, you can perfectly integrate Excel or Google Sheets with WP Sheet Editor to save a lot of time editing your variations info with CSV files.